Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Week two so far

Well, week two in Vienna is going swimmingly. Today I had Fine Arts class. We learned about Architecture, and it was fascinating. Tomorrow we are going to see Austria's crown jewels, which should be fun. I also had a voice lesson today, and it went very well, thank goodness! I have been feeling a little overwhelmed both vocally, and by the sheer amount of music that I am trying to learn while I am here. So, it was extremely re-assuring to come out of a lesson feeling like I am really improving, and getting ever closer to my all too elusive goal of being a professional singer. I know that I still have a long way to go, but now I realize more than ever that if I just keep working hard, and doing everything I can, then maybe one day, with some divine help, my dreams will turn into reality. Being here in Vienna makes me feel more like a singer and musician than I ever have before. On the flip side, it makes me acutely aware of all the things I still don't know, and have yet to experience. However, I am incredibly excited to continue to learn, grow, and encounter beautiful things. Sorry to wax philosophical, but that's what's been on my mind lately.

After class yesterday, we went over to the church's youth outreach institute for FHE. It was this great building run by the elders, and senior missionaries. They have foosball, a pool table, and a piano. It was fun to just hang out with some Austrian people our age. There were also some Germans and other Americans. It's been really interesting to interact with the Austrian people. They are very kind people, but they are also very private people - not as warm as many Americans. However, we met the other girl who is living in the room next door today, and she is so fun. Her name is Johanna, and she is from Linz, Austria. She just graduated in Marketing. We talked to her about music, school, and her studies in the US and Australia. She speaks beautiful English, and was very fun to talk with. It really amazes me how informed all the Austrians seem to be when it comes to music. I have yet to meet one who did not want to talk about music with me if it came up. It's so fun, and I learn a lot from those conversations. Well, that's all for now. I've got to go examine the inside of my eyelids. Guten nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment