Friday, January 16, 2009

Car Crash

Well, it happened. My first car crash. I was on my way back from a voice lesson, headed down the parkway, when suddenly I saw two headlights headed straight for me. They came out of nowhere, and from the wrong side of the road. Almost like when a deer jumps out in front of you. A giant metal deer. I slammed on the brakes and swerved to my left, but the next thing I knew I heard a BOOM, and I was skidding into the middle of the road. Obviously, I was shocked, but after I had determined that I still had all my limbs I managed to get the car out of neutral and into a nearby turn lane. I then called 911, and got out of the car. A nice couple and an older gentlemen came toward me. They had also called 911. After determining that I was not seriously injured, they went over to see about the other car. The teenage boy hadn't gotten out of his car. Fortunately, he was conscious even though he had gone off the other side of the road, and into a tree. He complained of an injured wrist, but he was otherwise fine. He couldn't get out of the car because the door was bent out of shape. The police and ambulance arrived a few minutes later, and hauled the boy off on a stretcher. The police asked the older man, who was kind enough to stay, what had happened. He said that he was right behind the boy when he suddenly drifted into oncoming traffic, namely me. The police then took my statement, which was not all that coherent because it happened so quickly, and I was a little shaken up by my head-on encounter. Fortunately, I was wearing my seatbelt, or my face would have slammed into the steering column, since my faulty airbag did not deploy. Needless to say, I am extremely grateful for seatbelts, my family, and my life. I walked away from the accident with nothing more than some soreness. Clearly, God protected me tonight. I'm sure that my back, shoulders, and neck will hurt for the next few days, but that's what chiropractors are for! Also, my car is totaled. I loved that car, but cars are replaceable. Arms, legs, and lives are not.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are ok Carli!
    Let us know if we can help you out in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That's an unnerving experience. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete