Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lunch with Jefferson

Since I am leaving for Wien in just a little while (53 hours and 5 minutes to be exact, not that I'm counting!), I decided that I would eat lunch at the elementary school with my little brother today. Now, there is a rule at the school that says that parents (or sisters) aren't supposed to bring fast food for the kids they are visiting. I decided that was a dumb rule, so I decided to smuggle chicken sandwhiches from Chick-fil-a in for us to eat. I felt very sneaky as I placed the sandwhiches, as well as water bottles and bananas, into regular lunch bags in order to avoid suspicion at the front desk. Mission accomplished. I got the sandwhiches into the cafeteria, and Jefferson and I ate them without protest from the scary ladies that patrol the lunchroom. Needless to say, the social situation at the table was hillarious. As is usually the case in the fifth grade, the boys all sat at one table, and the girls at another. All the fifth grade girls watched me with rapt attention and whispered amongst themselves as I infiltrated the boys' territory in order to sit with my brother. The conversation at the boys' table focused mainly on video games, and a piece of my brother's hair that was sticking up. A girl at the adjacent table had pointed it out, and all the boys, my brother included, thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen. I also overheard a snippet of conversation that went a little something like: "I do NOT like her!!!!" Ah, fifth grade romance. So that is the story of my sojourn into the fifth grade boys' lunch table. The end.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. OMGOODNESS. I remember fifth grade lunches. you are so brave to go back and see it again for yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete