Monday, January 26, 2009

Naschmarkt, Gelato, and U-bahn Adventures!

I feel like today was my first real day in the city. This morning, my alarm clock did not go off. Yikes! Luckily, Britain woke up and checked the time. It was nine o'clock, and we had to be at the institute at ten. We hurried and got ready, and then rushed to the U-bahn station. The U-bahn is the subway. So, we got to the station, and then clumsily made our way downstairs and onto the train. Fortunately, we got on the correct train, and made it to school on time. This was a very good thing, because apparently the Austrians take punctuality very seriously. We then had orientation, which was not all that exciting, but we got some useful infomation. Around lunchtime we went on a walking tour to get oriented with the practical things in the city, like the U-bahn. We went back to Stephansdom, and then headed to Naschmarkt. Naschmarks is this wonderful outdoor market, with all sorts of awesome food! There were all sorts of cheeses, meats, restaurants, and fruit. We wandered around for about an hour, and it was great! I had a lamb Kebab from this crazy Turkish man for lunch, and it was delicious. I was with a group of my amigos, and after our delicious Kebabs we proceeded to meander the food stalls. We ended up purchasing Turkish delight, dried strawberries, raspberries, and...carrots. That's right my friends, sugar coated, dried carrots. And you know what? They were good! It was really bizzare, because I was completely prepared to not like them, but they were this wierd not too sweet, good textured delicious. So, after Naschmarkt we came back to the institute, and then we took the U-bahn to Dr. Vincent's apartment, where we got our cell phones. Yay! We stayed and chatted at Dr. Vincent's house for a while, which was nice, and then Britain, Joseph, Ty, and myself hopped back on the U-bahn for more adventuring. We wanted some food, and we meant to get off at Karlsplaz, but ended up getting off a stop early. We went to a wurstel stand (hotdog stand), where the boys got some food. We also learned how to say "open" and "closed" from the nice man running the stand. We then wandered around for a little while, trying to figure out exactly where we were. Ty asked a man on the street, in German, where the opera house, and from there we found our way to where we wanted to go. Here's a video of us meandering towards the opera house:


Sorry the camrea isn't steady, but we were walking down the street. After we got to Kaertnerstrasse, we found the delicious gelateria. The people working there speak some german, no english, and perfect italian, so it's always a multi-lingual experience. I got biscotti and nutella gelato, and it was heaven. We are going to the opera on Saturday!! Yay!!!!! I'm super excited about it. I have two goals for tomorrow: 1. buy a new pillow because the one my Hausfrau gave me is horrible 2. take lots of pictures and post. them. Well, I have to go to bed because I have class in the morning, but I will post again soon. Auf wiedersehen!

4 comments:

  1. Car! I love your blog!!! I wish so badly that I could call you and you could tell me all about it, We really need to figure out all this skype thing anyways it sounds just amazing! I was showing megs your blog and we sat and talked about how much we miss you. I love your stinkin guts! Be safe and have fun! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I want gelato... not so tempted with the dried carrots. Although, Naschmarkt sounds like a place I could have some fun!

    I have to say, the word "Hausfrau" looks hilarious spelled out. Took me a minute. Ha! Def get a new pillow, that's not something you want to fool around with. When a pillow's gross, it's gross, ya know? Eeek.

    You didn't get lost on the U-bahn. I'm so proud!! Such skill!

    Love you deeper than this ocean that divides us!

    (PS, yes I am going to write ridiculous tokens of my love for you as my sign off. I feel this is most appropriate for such a anonymous, public forum of communication. This will most assuredly scare off the Austrian prince who's stalking you on the internet to find out more information before he asks you to marry him. Bring on the cheese!)

    ~Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carli~
    Love your blog. The lunch date with Jefferson made me laugh:) I had no idea you were in a car wreck - so glad you are okay! Look forward beautiful pictures and incredible experiences. Enjoy every second~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! I'm glad you read my blog! Sydney, I miss you too, and we definently need to skype. Same goes for you, Morgan. I have some stories. Sister Austin, I'm glad you liked the lunch with Jefferson story. Ah, the fifth grade. Lol. Talk to you guys later! Or as we say here, bis spaeter!

    ReplyDelete