Thursday, January 29, 2009

Musikverein and other adventures

So, let me just start by saying that my life pretty much rocks. Today was so great! We had German class at ten, and then we were free for the rest of the day! So, Britain, Laura, and I went down to this government office and registered to become official Viennesse citizens. So, I am officially Austrian for three months. Cool, huh? After that, Emily and I went wandering around the city. We found the stake center, and rode around on the Strassenbahn. Then we got some for real Apfelstruedel (Apple strudel)!!!! It was delicious! It was just the right balance of sweetness and tartness. The pastry part of it was really delicate, which made it even better. Then, we wandered up to the Rupertskirche, which is a church about a block from my apartment that was built in the tenth century. It was so awesome! Here's a picture:


After that, I met up with Britain, and we went home to get ready for the concert! I went to a concert at the Musikverein, and it absolutely blew my mind. The concert was given by the Wiener Symphoniker, and they played a piece by a 20th century composer named Webern. It was stunning. I don't usually care for most 20th century music, but it was so great! The Wiener Symphoniker completely captivated me. They were exactly together. It was like it was a living, breathing musical body. Not to mention the conductor was absolutely impeccable, and fascinating to watch. Also, the dynamics throughout the entire performance were unbelievable. I have never heard an orchestra with so much contrast. This was how music is supposed to be! It was unbelieveable. Not to mention that the audience at the Musikverein was fantastic, and the fact that I was sitting in one of the most famous and beautifull concert halls in the world was awesome. You could tell that the Viennesse people have a deep love for their city, and music. Also on the concert was a Beethoven concerto, and a Brahms symphony. Can life get better!?!?!? No. The whole time my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest. It was beyond words. Music is supposed to cleanse the heart, and touch the soul, and this music definently met those two requirements! I just loved it, and plan to go back soon!









Isn't it beautiful?

After the concert we all went to a cafe, and hung out. It was really great just to sit around and chat with everyone. I am having a wonderful time here in Wien. It feels like the most natural thing in the world to be here. It truly is a city of music, and I am being exposed to exquisite music like I have never heard before.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I can't read this blog anymore. I'm in Micro Econ class at 9AM on a rainy cold Friday in Athens, GA. This is tooo much. I'm sneaking out on a plane asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick! Yeah, I wish you could sneak out! Lol. Yeah, I'm having a great time. I miss you though! I hope you can survive class, and not be too jealous! ;) tee hee. I loves you!

    ReplyDelete